History of Elmer Timberman Lodge
Perceiving the need for a Masonic Lodge in Annandale, a number of Masons who regularly patronized the little 10' x10' post office located in Joe Mettaurers filling station began collecting the signatures of Masons living in Northern Virginia for the purpose of petitioning the Grand Lodge of Virginia to start a new Lodge in Annandale.
In the early 1950's, Annandale was a bedroom community of Washington D. C. Many of the Masons who picked up their mail at the little post office worked for the Federal Government and had relocated to Fairfax County from other locations.
Eighty Masons petitioned the Grand Lodge of Virginia for a charter in December 1952. The future Lodge in Annandale would be named Elmer Timberman Lodge in honor of Right Worshipful J. E. W. Timberman, a prominent and active Mason who operated a drug store in Alexandria, Virginia.
On December 12, 1952, The District Deputy Grand Master Frank McNulty Steadman of Kemper Lodge No. 64, Falls Church, Virginia received the dispensation and charter from the Grand Lodge. The Lodge opened in the North Room of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia, on December 15, 1952, with Right Worshipful Steadman presiding. Worshipful Charles Calvin Whitmer was installed Worshipful Master by Right Worshipful Brother Timberman, who was also the first person formally received by the new Worshipful Master. Brother Timberman thanked the Lodge and was deeply honored.
The first regular communication was held on January 19, 1953, in the Social Hall of the Annandale Methodist Church. Meetings were regularly held at the Church and other temporary quarters until construction on the present temple at 6911 Columbia Pike, Annandale, Virginia, was completed in the spring of 1961. The first meeting in the new temple was in May 1961, with Right Worshipful J. E. W. Timberman present and Right Worshipful Frank Steadman as the first guest speaker.
In January 1970, the Lodge established the “DeRossi School of Instruction,” in honor of Worshipful Ludwig D. DeRossi.